I am loving my new camera and wanted to make sure I kept it in excellent condition. The camera bag it came with was hideous (and no pockets!) and the ones I liked online were super pricey.
Enter the Purse Camera Bag...
Everything fits perfectly inside and it's nice and padded. The best thing is I can still use the pockets in the purse lining and if I get tired of this bag I can pull the whole insert out and move it to a new purse. Since I only have 1 lens I just leave it on the camera but if I get another one there's room to store 2 lenses vertically- I already made the extra divider so I can sew it in at anytime.
Ready to make your own?
- Purse- make sure everything you need fits with room to spare so you can add padding
- Foam- I used 1" because that was all Joanns had, but 1" for the bottom and 1/2" everywhere else would probably be best
- 1/2 - 1 yard fabric (1/2 was enough for me but it will depend on your bag size)
1. To start with I cut my foam pieces for the bottom, sides and end. I made a few adjustments after seeing how they fit together.
2. The bottom and 2 long sides form the main portion of the insert. Cut a piece of fabric long enough to wrap around all 3 pieces (wow horrible photo- sorry about that. I was using my crummy camera)
3. With right sides together sew up 3 of the sides- the edge you leave open will be where you slide each foam piece in. When you're finished this edge will meet up with 1 of the end foam pieces. You don't want it to be on the top of your finished insert since the edge won't be as pretty
4. Turn right side out and then sew 2 lines down the middle, forming 3 pockets for your bottom and side pieces. Slide the foam into the pockets and sew up the final side- I just folded the fabric edges under and sewed as close to the edge as possible using my machine- this edge won't show when you're done
5. Make fabric coverings for you 2 end pieces and any divider pieces.
6. Hand sew the end pieces to the main insert and sew your dividers in place.
Finished! Enjoy your lovely new bag:)